Thursday, October 9, 2008

What ye have done to the least of these...

Especially if you've grown up under the teaching that you shouldn't give to a homeless man or a beggar because that person may (MAY) take your hard-earned cash to perpetuate a substance problem, especially if you rationalize your way out of it by chanting under your breath "I would if I could" or, for any LDS readers out there, that you already do simply by way of fast offering...

I urge you especially to read this blog entry on Dooce.

It's an amazing blog, and this particular entry describes a lesson we all need to learn.

In the meantime, I'm working hard on developing an entry on why I believe universal healthcare is necessary - why it's a right and not a privilege, and why - if you truly consider yourself Christian (or just human), you should think so too. I also intend to recognize why it's not as easy as it sounds to implement, but why it's not impossible. We are smarter and more resourceful than some would have us believe - than we would have ourselves to believe.

We just need to get off our soapbox, high horse, pedestal, etc., and remember the basics of what it means to be a person.


I've got other ideas swirling around in my brain. They have the potential to seriously ruffle some feathers, so I'm sitting on it for a day or two - always a good idea. Especially for me.

No comments: