Thursday, October 16, 2008

This is what it's about.

I just read How has the Yes on 8 campaign affected Mormons? and thought "Exactly."

Exactly.

Here's an excerpt:

I have wondered how the “Yes on 8” campaign connects with the core principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ—love the Lord with all thy heart, love thy neighbor as thyself. I have wondered how it relates to the first principles and ordinances of the gospel: faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, and laying on the hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost? Does it contribute to any of the three missions of the Church: to proclaim the gospel, to perfect the saints, or to redeem the dead? I understand that according to Mormon doctrine temple marriage is an ordinance necessary to exaltation. Still, I do not understand how the elimination of civil marriage rights for gays and lesbians in the state of California will do anything to bring more souls to Christ.

This blogger also talks about how it dominates Church meetings, discussions, how much we are being asked to contribute to a political campaign.

Listen, I understand. "Gay couples cannot marry in the temple."

But they still should be able to marry outside the temple. People of other faiths aren't able to marry inside the temple. Some LDS people aren't allowed to marry inside the temple.

You can bring the dang horses to water, but you cannot make them drink. You can show them, hope they agree, and change their life accordingly if they so desire to.

So just what is it that we're so afraid of?

Some say its condoning sinful action, but we aren't talking murder and mayhem here. This is the United States where people are free to believe as they will. Not everyone agrees, and that is the blessing that is living in the United States. We can believe how we want - we can act according to the dictates of our own conscience.

Let me reiterate:

Over a hundred years ago, the government and the people of the United States shoved their morals and views on marriage down your ancestors' throats, using much of the same arguments you are using today.

What say you to that?

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I followed a comment that you posted on facebook.

First, LOVE the name of your blog. :)

Second, you bring up some amazingly excellent points in this and other posts.

Third, thanks for linking that article. :)

I'm sure I'll be around more.

:D

Heather said...

So Lisa, I've been thinking of your blog, and a funny thing happened. I was talking to some friends and every single one of them plus some family members have had their signs stolen. Signs that are yes on prop 8. I'm wondering what your take is on these few thoughts and then I have to get my kids into bed. The people who are taking these signs are obviously not in support of prop 8. This is a coordinated effort on some level, all over town signs are being stolen from peoples yards. Here is my question. If people are willing to come onto my property and take something because they feel strongly about it, even though it seems harmless enough what about if prop 8 fails. What if a certain church still refuses to recognize or perform those unions. Do you honestly think that the church or congregation that attends would be left unscathed from grafitti or I don't know harrassment? This is only one of the ways this will affect church members and it's not pretty. If they are willing to steal, what else might they be willing to do with "the law on their side?" What is your opinion? I'm really curious! Even though I disagree, I really enjoy reading your thoughts when I can. Maybe you could use your obvious talent for writing in defence of the church or maybe sharing your testimony, I bet you would make grown men cry by using your talents in such a noble way!! You truly have a gift not just for writing but for organizing your thoughts. Bravo!!! Ohhh... are you going to stake conference? I'll look for you if you are!