Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

There's a hymn that I've come to love probably above all other songs. Though I struggle with my faith this year probably more than in years past, this hymn brings me goosebumps with its humble yet powerful image. The music and progression is unlike any other song I know. I love it when lyrics and music come together like this.

O Little Town of Bethlehem

O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by

Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in Thee tonight.

For Christ is born of Mary
And gathered all above
While mortals sleep
The angels keep
Their watch of wondering love.

O morning stars together
Proclaim the holy birth
And praises sing to God the King
And peace to men on earth.

How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is giv'n
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of his heav'n

No ear my hear his coming;
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him, still
The dear Christ enters in.

* * *

I wish I could find the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's version of this song - or at least, if they don't sing it already, the version found in our CD of church hymns. I'm trying to find a decent version on youtube for everyone, but nothing sounds as good. The Catholic organ dominates too much. I just found a musak version that's ok-ay, but not wonderful.


Just thought I'd share. Have a great Christmas Eve, no matter what you believe. Hug everyone a little tighter, be a little lighter. There are those this year without loved ones for the first time, those who've lost much. Think of them, give someone a call even if you're afraid or think you've nothing to say. Be good to one another. Feel free to share your favorite Christmas hymn here if you're so inclined.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Winter Solstice, End of the year, whatever.

Happy holidays.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May love and laughter light your days, and warm your hearth and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Merry Christmas, Lisa!

Natalie said...

My favorite Christmas hymn is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day", which is unfortunate, because we NEVER sing it. :)

My favorite one to sing is "Angels We Have Heard on High". Gotta love those bouncy "glorias". :)

Merry Christmas!!!

jet said...

Just FYI - You can download the Mo Tab version on either I-Tunes or Amazon.